Here are a couple of suggestions to make dinner time count:
1. Eat together with your spouse and kids as often as possible.
2. Make a table rule: no books/magazines/devices
3. Don’t ask family members to report on their day (what they did, who they interacted with, etc.) but welcome any sharing that spontaneously happens. Share your own day if you want to.
4. Have an interesting topic to raise for discussion.
5. Avoid stressful topics, complaints and issues.
6. Reward appropriate behaviors with your focused attention; as much as possible, look away from inappropriate behaviors. When you MUST correct something, do so quietly and firmly.
Receive Daily Parenting Posts from Sarah Chana Radcliffe in your email inbox – receive practical tips and inspiration for parenting, marriage and personal-well-being. Sign up at www.dailyparentingposts.com